be mine valentine
Granted, I have had more than a few not so great ones in the past--single girl, particularly in my 20's was not always so fab. And one year we threw a Valentine's party for a bunch of friends and it was the first cocktail party we had ever hosted. I worked day and night on all the details to make the party beautiful, made all the food, David and I taste tested champagne every Thursday, (see my brother Tom Astle's movie "Failure To Launch" from a few years ago and yes, he wrote "Champagne Thursday" into the movie--that's me!) and then ended up with the flu the night of the party (but I was young so I powered through with more champagne). My little valentines at home now reap the benefits of having a mom stung by cupids arrow.
Maybe you don't have a special someone, or your significant other has a consistent history of missing the boat on celebrating occasions, or .....well, anyhow, you are a modern girl so get your own cupid on this February. I have made a list of a few of my favorite things...
- Personally, I think giving lingerie for Valentine's Day is super cheesy. But I have to admit I am a big fan of Commando's Red Snake Thong--a racy print on the best underwear in the world.
- Tom Binns Faith in Fate Heart with Safety Pin Necklace has a cool rock & roll vibe to it. And a great price.
- I love Tarina Tarantino. Although you may be familiar with her in conjunction with Sephora, her jewelry is way fun. I bought this fabulous lucite heart "Electric Heart Necklace" from her line a few years ago and wear it year round. And I stack her carved rose bracelets--pick black or pink--for whatever message you would like to send...
- I can't leave out the Cartier LOVE bracelet. Remember the original one could only be opened with a tiny screwdriver? Now they have branched out to necklaces, earrings and different styles, but the original bracelet still has my heart.
- Dolce&Gabbana's Leopard Print iPad sleeve is over the top--but then sometimes so am I.
- A maroon colored Converse Chuck Taylor is a great way to put on your red shoes and dance.
- What would February be without a bit of bubbly? Francis Ford Coppola's Sophia, a tribute to his daughter, is a favorite of mine. The Blanc de Blancs is elegant and festive, plus you can get it in an individual 187 mililiter can with its own little straw--stylish and just for you. And you don't need it to be Valentine's Day or Thursday for that matter.