After weeks of watching and reading about various Fashion Weeks, online shopping trends, spring magazine issues, as well as the change of season in stores, I have compiled a list of my favorite things for the new spring season. So, maybe its not THE list, but its my list for certain. Not quite ready to give up my cozy gray sweater yet, but I may mix it up with one of these coveted items.
- Florals are big this season and I have two favorites. The thing I like about this trend is you don't necessarily have to be girly to wear them. I like them best mixed with a stripes or toughened up with a bit of leather, maybe an unexpected pairing that works because its in the same tone, or it just is a little bit of pretty. This Madewell blouse is my favorite, and I read later the tea rose print was inspired by a vintage Paris painting...so now I love it more. I am layering it now and it will be floaty and free by itself when the weather warms up. My second love is the Etta glitter heel in hummingbird floral but they sold out during pre-order, which I don't understand because I have mine already...plus, they marketed them in every major magazine so of course they sold out during the mere pre-order period. Oh, JCrew. I still love you, though. Take heart, these Matiko Jasper Rose Print Chelsea Boot are extra fun and I have seen ballet flats and all sorts of other styles sporting spring flowers.
- Speaking of ballet flats, I am liking the pointed toe ones again. They look so sharp with a cropped pant or a skirt. The Valentino Rockstud Leather Ballerina Flat are just about the most gorgeous ones out there. Gold standard. Also, this Miu Miu pair with the neutral/pink combo are something that you would wear five days a week! And if you are looking for something stylish that would cost a little less than your rent, this gorgeous blue Mia pair have that great capped toe and a darling ankle strap.
- Tuxedo jackets are a little obsession of mine these days. Its such a fun alternative to the cropped jackets that I have been pairing with everything. I bought the sleeveless version for spring. They are so cool over a dress or denim--a great little twist on the vest. This lilac version from 3.1 Phillip Lim is a bit longer so is a dressier look of this classic coat. If you want to combine a couple of trends, go for the Mural Floral Print Tux Vest in black with a fab floral back.
- I love lace especially when its paired with a worn pair of slender cut boyfriends, or leather. Don't go too far into the sweet and you will look modern and feminine at the same time. This Ella Moss one is perfect.
- Mixed media. You have to want to stand out, but its not a matter of throwing something together, it is thought out. This is one of my all time favorites right now that is trending from winter into spring. It made me realize how little pattern I have in my wardrobe, so I am set on remedying that. I did find my plaid skinnies and pair them a floral blouse and shorts boots.
- Loafers. I got a pair in the most beautiful gray snakeskin print leather by Robert Clergerie for Christmas from Totokaelo--I love the all the shoes at Totokaelo, but this Dieppa Restrepo pair would be a year round favorite for certain. Roll your pants up about three skinny times so everyone can appreciate your good taste. :)
- Black and white, baby. The dramatic contrast has a mod 60's vibe to it when it is blocked and can also be gorgeous in a sublte way, as in this Alice and Olivia dress. It is a the perfect thing to wear with my last favorite....
- Pink lips. I have been rocking the red throughout fall and holiday, but its time for a new look. I bought Tom Ford's Cherry Lush for my birthday party last year and it is rock star gorgeous. I still love it to pieces, which seems to be the case with everyone else in the world..there is a notice on the Saks website saying that you may order no more than six of these in a 30 day period. So funny! Flamingo is also eye-popping fab, but the Spanish Pink is equally lovely and less of a statement.