here comes the sun
Today I decided to venture away from the glamour of the laundry pile and head downtown to tick off a to do list. Recently, a new wave of grief over my mother's death has reared its ugly head unexpectedly, sending me down the black hole. But I am climbing out, damn it. My strength, after all, is inherited partly from my mother, and she would have told me to get a move on. So off I went.
I drug out the bins with my summer wardrobe, time to pack away the super wintery sweaters and pull out some color. I actually do have a few loves for summer and so here is my list for what I think will inspire me once again....
1. Cap toe ballet flats. A bit of spin off of the color blocking trend, these are great new twist on a classic shoe--you can go classic, like the Alberto Fermani pair or be a little funkier, like this pair Kate Spade cork & neon pair.
2. Denim Maxi Skirt. Maxi skirts in general are hot this season. I am a fan of this one from (oddly) CJ by Cookie Johnson at Neimans but also LOVE this tie dye one with the fun leopard waist band by XCVI Drape Cocoon Skirt from Zappos, which means if you like it today, you can wear it out tomorrow night. :)
3. Tshirts with a little cutout. Big fan of the tulip back tee--I have a solid black one I have worn a ton from Stylemint and this Anthropologie has several in this style, including the Graduated Dip-Dyed Tee.
4. Black lace on white. This top from Nicole Miller is the perfect combo of classy & cool.
5. Neon shoe detail. A little neon goes a long way, and I think that neon and neutral combinations are fantastic. This Juicy Couture wedge is the perfect summer shoe.
6. Cropped denim. J Brand Gigi is my absolutely favorite fit, whether you opt for classic blue denim or a colored pair, my Habitual Alice Skinny in Spanish Moss has been my go to colored jean this year. Patterned denim also dominates, so if you like your legs to rock leopard, polka dots, or florals, you go girl.
7. Cropped jackets. Twill, leather, denim. I love them layered over a floaty dress or a your favorite tshirt. My favorite one is a soft pleather one in a nude/peach that I got at Target last year, so you can find them in every price point.
Have fun adding some newness to your summer wardrobe this season. Finally, here comes the sun.